- 500g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 35g sliced salami, finely chopped
- 25g (1/3 cup) finely grated cheddar
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 50g (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- Basil pesto, to serve (optional)
- Cook the sweet potato in a steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water for 10-12 minutes or until tender enough to mash. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a potato masher to mash the sweet potato until smooth. Stir in the salami, cheddar and pizza sauce until combined. Roll level tablespoonful’s of the mixture into balls. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Roll the balls in flour, dip in egg and then roll in breadcrumbs to coat. Return to the prepared tray.
- Add enough oil to a large frying pan to reach a depth of about 1cm. Heat over medium-high heat. Working in batches, shallow-fry the balls, turning often, for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Serve with pesto, if you like.