- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
- 2 cup (400g) red lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 mins or until onion is caramelised. Reserve half the onion in a bowl.
- Add cumin, ground coriander and garlic to pan and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant. Add the potato, 3 1/2 cups (875ml) of water and stock powder and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 10 mins or until potato is tender.
- Add lentils and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 6-8 mins or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat. Use a stick blender to carefully blend soup until smooth.
- Add coriander leaves and pepitas to reserved onion. Serve soup topped with coriander mixture.